Who, What, Why, Where, When, How
- Who assigned the project OR What class is the information you need for?
- What kind of information on X are you looking for?
- What would you like to know about this topic?
- What do you mean by X?
- What else can you tell me that might help us locate materials?
- What aspect or specifics about X are you looking for?
- I'm not certain I understand....What examples can you give me?
- What do you already know about X ?
- What are some key concepts, terms or vocabulary for this topic?
- Where have you checked for information so far?
- What would you like to know about X?
- When you say _______________ , what do you mean?
- Would you describe the kind of information you would like to find?
- If I could find the "perfect" book/article to help you, what would that have in it? Or, what would the title be?
- Where did you hear or read about ________ ?
- I'm not familiar with that person. What is he/she known for? (and...Is he/she living or dead?)
- How will you use the information? That will help me with our search.
- I'd like to help you find the best possible information. Would you tell me more about your subject?
Adapted with permission from University of Washington Libraries