Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Off-campus (distance access)
How do I access databases off-campus?
- Depending on the entrance you click on for our databases you will get one or two requests to login. Please follow the directions when entering the requested information.
- For request that says Database Access, enter your username (without @nwmissouri.edu) and your MyNorthwest password (Northwest faculty, staff, and currently enrolled students):
- For the request that says Library account login, enter your Name and then your 919# followed by NW ex: 919123456NW:
- If you can't connect, please contact the Help Desk via email or by phone at (660) 562-1634.
URL doesn't work
When off-campus, add this string in front of the URL: http://ezproxy.nwmissouri.edu:2048/login?url=
Chat with a librarian if you need more assistance.
What is a DOI and how can I get to the article with it?
A DOI is a unique alphanumeric string (such as 10.1078/1433-8319-0056) assigned to identify content.
A doi link that will open an article off-campus looks like this:
Why am I getting "user name or password was not correct" error
This often means that your password has expired or you typed an incorrect password. The first step of troubleshooting this is to try myNorthwest to see if you can login successfully.
- If you cannot login on myNorthwest either, please call Help Desk at (660) 562-1634 to reset your password.
- If your password has been expired, you need to change the password following the instructions. (Read this page for more information.)
If you can successfully login to myNorthwest, but still can't login to search library databases or read linked articles, please check if you have any credential- or password- management software on your machine. (Northwest provided laptops have this software.) The credential software will not automatically update your password even if you have updated one for the campus login. You need to type in your new password on the login page in order to apply the changes on your machine.
I logged in but nothing seems to happen
Please check these settings in your browser:
- Popup blocker: Disable pop-up blockers while you are accessing the restricted databases through EZproxy.
- Firewall: If you see"this page cannot be displayed," it usually means a firewall issue on your side. If you have installed personal firewall software such as Norton Antivirus. You either need to allow access to ezproxy.nwmissouri.edu (or 184.108.40.206) per port or add ezproxy.nwmissouri.edu as a safe site.
- Cookies: EZproxy and some databases send "cookies" when you connect to them to verify that you are an authorized user. If your browser reports an error receiving a "cookie," you have to enable them in your browser settings.
I'm using my laptop on campus and see the "this page cannot be displayed" message everytime I try to access library databases
- Use the NWMSU_Secure wireless network instead of the NWMSU_Guest wireless network. All University provided laptops are capable of this setting. Register your laptop with the Information Technology Helpdesk at (660) 562-1634 to access the NWMSU_Secure wireless network.
- Use a network cable and plug it in a network jack nearby. If you are in the library building and need a cable, check one out from the Library Services Desk, 1st floor.
I can use the databases at home, but not at work
Many corporate, government, and educational institutions use firewalls for security purposes and block every port other than standard web browser ports.
I got a hostname error
Please send the Help Desk an email that includes the error message.
"Page not found," "Cannot find server or DNS," or browser waits and waits
This usually means there is an issue in the Northwest Missouri State University Campus Network. Please send the Help Desk an email that includes the message.
Who can access library databases?
- All Northwest faculty, staff, and currently enrolled students.
- Owens Library's electronic resource license agreements prohibit off-campus access to these resources unless a student is currently enrolled. Students who have a delayed grade in a course and who are not currently enrolled are not current students as defined by these license agreements.