Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What's in this guide?
How to cite:
- journal, magazine, and newspaper articles
- print and online whole books, chapters, edited, and multivolume
- entire websites, single web pages, and no author or date
- cases, laws, and government documents
- social media, images, music, and video
- email, interview, survey, class material, and letter
- parenthetical referencing examples within the text
- citing author names within the text
- formatting of author variations (one or more, no named author, multiple sources by the same author) within the Works Cited
Ask a Librarian
- ask for research or citing help at the Library Services Desk or by chat/text messaging, email, or phone
Find answers to commonly asked questions regarding APA, CSE, MLA, and Turabian styles.
Practice template in the 9th edition
The formatting and citation examples in this guide are based upon rules and examples in the MLA Handbook, 9th edition by The Modern Language Association of America. If you would like additions or would like to report a correction to this guide, please contact the library's Graduate Assistant.