Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The following examples illustrate the CSE name–year system. In-text references consist of the author(s) surname and the year of publication. End references are unnumbered and listed in alphabetical order.
What's in this guide?
- print and online books/book chapters examples
- publications; papers/poster sessions
- parenthetical referencing examples within the text
- citing author names within the text
- citing author names in the end references
- sample references page
Ask a Librarian
- ask for research help at the Library Services Desk, using chat, email, phone
- email any one of the librarians for a research appointment tailored to your paper/project
CSE Style NAME-YEAR system examples
- journals and newspapers
- forthcoming material
- chapters in book
- multivolume work as a whole
- dissertations and theses
- personal communication
Scientific report writing guidelines, Writing Center, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
Citation FAQs (CSE Style)
Find answers to commonly asked questions.